How to Get Rid of Lice: 8 Essential Tips on Lice Elimination
Perhaps, head lice infestation is one of the conditions that can’t be referred to as a disease, as these lice never spread any infections. However, the problem is their presence is very annoying. Do you want to know how to get rid of lice? – Go on reading.
Why Do Lice Appear?
Lice spread from person to another through close contact or sharing personal items and clothes, which shouldn’t be done. Even having lice, many people are still not aware of the problems they have. In most cases head lice cause no symptoms at all. Even itching (which is quite common) starts weeks or months after the lice’s spreading has started.
Though lice do not spread infections, frequent scratching causes a skin infection. When the problem is left untreated, people lose their hair and the skin areas infested with lice become much darker.
8 Ways to Get Rid of Lice
- Coconut oil is a very effective remedy for removing/killing lice. Many people consider it to be the best option, though some experts state that even after coconut oil some lice manage to survive. Regardless of this coconut oil makes it much easier to remove the eggs that attach to hair. All you need to do is to take 2 tbsp of oil and slather it at the scalp, because lice tend to gather there.
- Neem- extract-based shampoo destroys head lice completely. It is effective in cases of children and adult treatment. 20-minute treatment can deliver great results. Besides, this remedy never triggers any side effects and eliminates both lice and their eggs.
- Lime juice & garlic powder: take 1 ts.p of lime juice and mix it with 1 ts.p of garlic paste. Mix the ingredients and apply the mixture to the scalp. Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash your hair with shampoo. The procedure should be repeated in 10 days after the first try. Perform it at least 3 times to make the lice and their eggs disappear completely.
- Calamine lotion & dish soap. Wash your hair with dish soap and coat the hair with calamine for the rest of the day. In the evening wash your hair one more time and re-coat it before going to bed. Do the same thing the next day and you will eliminate all lice you have.
- Rosemary repel products have also proven their efficiency. Wash your hair with rosemary repel shampoo every 2-3 days for 3 weeks. Follow each shampoo with rosemary conditioner, as it will leave hair silky and soft, and its organic oils will help to get rid of lice. Every morning apply rosemary repel spray and brush your hair. As all these products are chemical-free they are safe, but also very efficient.
- Vinegar rinse is not as frequently used as the above described remedies, but it doesn’t mean it is less effective. Rinse your hair in the shower with white vinegar. It will loosen the glue that holds lice eggs to the hair.
- Alcohol lice conditioner serves a natural home remedy for head lice. Apply it on the hair and cover with shower cap for one hour. Then wash your hair with shampoo and scrub hair with a tough-toothed brush. Before going to sleep, sprinkle alcohol all over your hair and leave for 24 hours. After washing your hair you will not find any lice.
- Cutting the hair has been a very useful method about 15-20 years ago. However, today this is also a quite effective solution of the lice problem. Cutting will ensure that lice have no place to live in.
All the methods proved to be very effective in the course of head lice treatment. Knowing these essential tips on how to get rid of lice, you won’t have to buy expensive shampoos or sprays to eliminate lice completely. Start treating the problem today and in a few days you will be free from lice.